Monday, June 1, 2009

A Surreal Moment at Wendy's and other Gastronomy

Well…I haven’t had the internet on this damned rock since Friday. Wasn’t able to do much online work or communication all weekend but managed to get some things done from the ol’ flash drive. But the internet is back again.

Thought I’d share a classic event that happened to me Saturday morning. I went to town for some coffee (Wendy’s). As I was standing inside I noticed a couple of “local” teenage girls trying to unlock their car with a coat hangar on the driver’s side. About the time I got my coffee, I noticed that a couple of men were standing there and trying to help out. (BTW, my car was parked next to the locked car).

So I stroll out of Wendy’s and the 4 people trying to open the car had torn up a lot of weather stripping and were more than a little stressed because they weren’t making any progress. I walk over to my car and start to get in and noticed something…the passenger side window was DOWN about six inches. It took a minute to register on me (I was already in the car before I realized what I was seeing).

So I just step out of my car, reach in the window and unlock the car. Went it went “thunk” every one froze for a second and looked at me. I said, “this, uh, window is down and it looks like it may rain in Aruba today. Might want to roll it up when you get that door unlocked.” I got in my car and drove off. When I looked in the mirror, they were still just standing around looking at each other. Not sure if they even quit trying to unlock the driver’s side door.

Some gastronomic observations:

1-Arubans like their cookies. Every meeting, class, gathering, at the refinery is accompanied by piles of cookies and they all eat them. However, they have some awesome cookies. They’re all imported from Holland and those Aryans are evidently real good at making cookies.

2-If you go to a meeting in the refinery where lunch is brought in, it’s Subway…always. Last rotation here, I went to 4 meetings in a row where lunch was brought in. It was Subway or starve. Never anything else. It was free food but that’s all it was…free.

3-They also like their fruit drinks. I’ve noticed that when you go out to eat that the people here drink pineapple juice, grape soda, guava nectar, etc. with their meals. Where we drink tea or water or wine, they drink their fruit drinks. And the cool part is that the restaurants all have the stuff.

4-And could someone give the chefs on the island some freakin’ SALT!!!


OUT

No comments:

Post a Comment