Sunday, March 22, 2009

...back to the grindstone

Landed in Aruba about 4:00 pm. They actually ran out of food on the plane. I wound up eating a pack of Pringles. Other than a muffin in Atlanta that was all I literally had to eat all day. I was ready to eat roadkill by the time I got to Aruba. I saw a sign about Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and it hit home so I drove directly to it and had the best meal I've had in months...love me some steak.

National Car Rental burned me for $63 for 5.5 gallons of gas the last time I was here. So I went to their counter and very calmly asked them to change it to the going rate [about $20]. I explained to them that in the next year I'll spend $10,000-12,000 on car rental and if they want that business they'll do what makes sense and credit me 40 or so dollars. But, no one had the authority. I left them my card and told them to have some one who has the authority to call me. I'm actually enjoying playing this game. I really don't care where I rent a car from.

The 7th thing I've learned about Aruba
No matter what restaurant or burger joint you go into, they are s l o w. Even Ruth's Chris took more than 30 minutes to cook a filet to medium rare. Add surly clerks in almost every store and it becomes apparent that customer service is a secondary consideration.

...oh, and I found out today that a Toyota Yaris has a WHOLE lot more power than a Kia Rio.

Lots of work to do in the next 3 or 4 weeks...the quicker I get finished the quicker I go home.

OUT

3 comments:

  1. Well, there is one way to look at this s l o w
    movement. You get to allow for a more peaceful time while you are waiting for your food. Us westerner's tend to move way to fast and we don't allow ourselves the chance to just be still and know that He is! Enjoy!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. And eat a little snack before you go out to eat or shopping. It'll make the whole "be still and know" thing much easier! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanx, girls. i'm sufficiently chastised and humbled now.

    btw...i NEVER go grocery shopping while i'm hungry. for a foodie that can be awfully expensive.

    ReplyDelete